Saturday, March 21, 2015

Scott's Update 3/21

Hello everybody!

I said I'd update with our going-ons. Here we go-

3/17/15

So much has and hasn't happened since the last entry. We made it to North Carolina on the 15th. Stayed right on the border that night at Bly Gap. Where I woke up this morning under the stars at Carter Gap. We slept on the ruins on the old shelter. Halfway through the night I awoke to loud rustling and in my mind the sound of a pack being drug away. I went straight into Defcon 5 for two minutes thinking it was a bear. Well, it turns out that it was Ross being tossing and turning on his mat. Had a campfire with Poppins, Stoat, Sticks, Cookie Monster, Mile Marker and Solo.

At Bly, I met a weekend hiker, Boy Scout, who had also sailed abroad the William H. Albury. Yeah I hugged him. I'm slowly making an AT playlist.

On the 14th we woke up in Hiawassee and made it to Unicoi Gap around 10 am. A few Angels with grizzly beards set up some magic of hot dogs, Gatorade and booze. We grabbed Gatorade. Hiked to Deep Gap shelter. Stayed with two couples who were pretty fun. One had a ukelele. Nice hearing an instrument live though he didn't really play a song.

Yesterday, the 16th, was my first day of smelling Philmont. North Carolina is pretty despite the sub-par trail maintenance. Still its very much winter, early spring. Nothing is green besides the moss which very pleasant to stubble upon in the bare, brown.

I was pretty sick the 11th, 12th, 13th probably from not drinking enough water. Now I'm good and a 100 miles in.

3/17/15

Last night we sort of made plans, but they fell through. We couldn't find a campsite, so we stealth camped near a busy road on a tough slope. It was a meh night. Tomorrow we're headed into Franklin where we plan to stay the night. Briese is going to come and hang out with us. We climbed Allers peak today and there was a tower on top. I went up and it was incredible. Tonight we're at winding stair gap. Hopefully no bears....

3/18

We spent most of the date at 3 Eagles Outfitter. They gave us free beer and it was fun. Had to get new boots since mine feel apart.

3/19

Hopped onto the trail spur of the moment since we thought it was Thursday when it was really Wednesday. We made it to the Wayah Bald Shelter where a guy snored like a crazy and kept me up most of the night.

3/20

Briese is came and picked up from Tellico Gap. We're 130 miles in. I've decided to start not counting the 8.8 miles of the approach trail anymore, now that I'm a hundred plus in.


Here are the next few stops for us if you are interested
 
Ross Beazell and Scott Shipley
c/o General Delivery
Fontana Village, NC 28733
Please Hold for AT Hiker
ETA - 3/24/15

Ross Beazell and Scott Shipley
c/o General Delivery
Hot Springs, NC 28743
Please Hold for AT Hikers
ETA - 4/2/15

Ross Beazell and Scott Shipley
c/o General Delivery
Erwin, TN 37650
Please Hold for AT Hikers
ETA - 4/8/15



1 comment:

  1. thanks for the update and the addresses! your poles will be there waiting in Fontana.

    ReplyDelete