Saturday, April 4, 2015

Things I have learned in the first 100 miles.

Hello everyone this is Ross checking in, my feet are no longer one big blister and We are both in good health. So this hike having been my first big backpacking trip I thought I would share some things I have picked up on the way through Scott and various other hikers.
  • Chafing happens
  • Sock liners are a godsend versus blisters
  • Make sure to not hike with the original insoles in your boots (I did for the first 100 miles)
  • Epson Salt is great for drying out blisters
  • There is always one more hill
  • Water is everywhere
  • Bring in town clothes, so that you don't smell as bad
  • There is always a need for food
  • Go slow up hills, it's not a race
  • Candy bars can make our day
  • Scout can make a fire in any condition
  • Some people are just on the trail to party
  • Yellow Blaze is to hitch hike through the trail
  • Some people can really snore
  • How to wear my backpack correctly
  • The weather is what you make of it
  • I am horrible at 20 questions
  • Spices are great with rice and beans
  • Going into town doesn't mean you take a zero day ( a day when you don't hike any miles)
  • Ibuprofen is key on harder days
  • People have dropped off the trail already
  • I like to hike in silence sometimes
  • You will die without positive mental attitude for 30 seconds
  • It is hard to choose between miles and smiles some days
  • You are never truly isolated on the AT
  • Set goals for each day
  • I would not be here without the support of everyone
Right now Scout and I are hanging out at the Hiker resource center here in Hot Springs, NC. We have acquired some hiking partners on our jaunt through the Smokey Mountains, Honeybuns and KnockOnWood. They are engaged and have the same pace as Scout and I, so they are a perfect fit for us. 

Until next time,
Ross, Burnout

2 comments:

  1. I'm anxiously waiting to hear about the things you've picked up along the way...you should go into writing thrillers or mysteries. Haha ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're trucking along! 😊

    ReplyDelete