Friday, March 13, 2015

Hiawassee, GA 150 page views already

Howdy all,

It's me Scott again. Ross is currently doing bathtub laundry intermixed with soaking his blustered feet. Nothing serious for our feet yet, but I've been feeling really sick to my stomach. I think half of it is the extreme change in diet and the other half is me just stressing out about feeling sick. Making myself more sick. Lets see if I can shake it. I have Tums now and hopefully that will help me sleep.

So lets see here are some journal entries

3/8/15
Day 1, Started at the arch with full packs. Hugged Briese and said farewell. Made it to the top of Springer around midday with a slow terrible climb that included 600 stairs all in a row. Amicalola Falls is beautiful. Saw a Search and Rescue helicopter already. This evening we camped by a stream just outside of Stover Creek Shelter, it sounded noisy there. We listened to the stream and rain as we fell asleep right away.

3/9/15
Peaked Sassafras and Justus Mtn today. Met a nice mom I've been calling Mama J in my head. Rain again tonight. Justus Mtn had a cool overhang that looked perfect to camp under. Playing 20 questions (as many questions as you can stand to ask) Ross had a tough time with Pikachu and Shay leBuff. Blisters on feet for both of us. Hip belt trouble for Ross, but I think he'll figure it out. Cool rock being eaten by a tree root. Theres a cool photo of Ross being eaten by a tree I'll try to insert here. Camped just north of Gooch Shelter as it was full up. Another quiet evening mixed with some rain. Thinking about love and life.

3/10/15
Early Morning, thought maybe the rain had passed, but we got drizzled on most of the day. Never more than a drizzle luckily. Hiking on the spine on this range in the clouds most of the day. Coming out only to see a road before going back up into very limited visibility, 20 feet tops. Finished the day at the foot of Blood Mtn. Tomorrow will not be an easy day. We climb 700 ft over a mile and down 700 over the next. Now, this afternoon/evening its clear and quiet. No one else is at this shelter and no one came. We had it all to ourselves. Today was my first wildlife, gray birds with white under bellies I happened upon out of the fog. they chittered and hopped from tree to tree in front of me for 100 yards down the trail. We also saw a tree that had two truncks. It's pretty cool stuff. 36.9 miles in.

3/11/15 

I'm feeling awful. I hope I didn't lick something bad at that shelter. We pressed hard today and made it to Low Gap Shelter. 5 miles further than we hoped, but Blood Mtn didn't kill us and a Snickers bar at Nell's Gap really helped our morale. I don't think the sugar and coffee I drank today are agreeing with me tonight. Going to bed very early, but there are about 50 people around in this area. Thank you to whomever recommended earplugs.


3/12/15

Hiked 9 miles today and arrived at Unicoi Gap at 1pm. We made a reservation in Hiawassee instead of Helen like we planned because it has a medical center incase I feel worse over night. We have enough food without a resupply to get to our next drop. It's better to have too much I guess. This is 61 miles. Budget Inn is cheap for sure, but it suits us just fine.

3/13/15

We have decided to take a zero day here. My stomach feels a bit better, but still frothy. Mail and organize and laundry fun. Love all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment