Sunday, May 17, 2015

Shelter and Hobbits

Hello again

It's old Scout Shipley. I'm happy to say that we are alive and in good health. In two days we are going to be in Waynesboro, VA where we will be picked up by Burn Out's mom. She's going to put up five dirty, foul hikers.

It's still Burn Out, Knock on Wood, Honeybuns, HB, and myself. Now our fifth is a tall, young man named Hobbit or as we like to joke, Hobbits. Since he is two hobbits stacked on each other.

Lets see, Hobbits likes to eat, sleep and play games. He wakes late and catches up to us at some point in the day. Sometimes it's after dark. We love Hobbits. With his influence we night hiked 10 miles. I loved it. The rest of the party were wiped afterward. We did it to get to a brewery that didn't exist....

Glasco was cool, but we didn't linger. We did stay a night in Buena Vista. Where we planned to celebrate HB's birthday. We ate bar b que and fell asleep. Party! Last night we made him a "cake" out of a cosmic brownie, cake frosting, sugar letters and I found trick candles in a geocache. It was awesome. Check out their photos at clifandallie.com

If you and I aren't friends on Facebook, you need to add me. I post a lot of random photos to it. I'm Scott Eugene Shipley.

Ok, topic time. SHELTERs

It's a very important part of the trail, but by no means do shelters have to dominate your hiking plans. Important thing about shelter is water. They normally have decent water sources. A basic shelter is a simple three wall platform. They come in all shapes and sizes, but the average is 8 people with only one room and a raised wood floor. They are maintained by the ~30 trail clubs. We like to stay at these shelters for the water convenience and the people. We tent, shelter, cowboy camp and hammock depending on how we feel or weather allows.

Shelters haven't been more than 20 miles apart and in one stretch of six miles you can stay in one of three.

They can be very lovely when hikers haven't ruined them with garbage, graffiti and vandalism. We like to blame day hikers for that, but it's not true. Both parties share that blame. I can say that because I've met the thru hikers that litter constantly. They like to burn their trash and don't like to start fires. I don't know which part I hate more.

Sometimes a shelter is built because there's water and others because there is a view and still some because it's needed.

How do we know about a shelter's distance, capacity and water source? It's this amazing book by David "AWOL" Miller. It's $15 and amazingly detailed. I can't recommend it more to a hiker or someone bent on following us.

I will wrap this here. Currently I'm writing in the dark by a stream listening to LOTR Fellowship watching the stars come out as the last few hikers night hike in. Thinking of all of you warm in you comfortable beds and chairs, under blankets or laying in warm sun filled grass. Above and Beyond Group Therapy is fuel for my ears. My hips are rubbed raw and a couple days not hiking will be nice. Also new pack!

Love all of you,

Scott Eugene Scout Shipley

No comments:

Post a Comment