Sunday, May 31, 2015

Gear, gear, gear!

So with the many conversations we have on the trail, most of them end up being about gear. Gear is basically the easiest way to have a conversation with another person and is very repetitive. So let's talk gear! 
Defining gear is easy, everything you have on your back during your hike minus food. Normal pack weight without foot is about 15-20 pounds. 
Alright, time to jump into what I have. 

For my pack I have a Gregory Baltoro 75. Which by itself weighs a whopping 5 pounds when not covered in my sweat. 

My sleeping arrangement is so magical so come on a journey through my nocturnal palace! 

I sleep in a Eagles Nest Outdoors (ENO) DoubleNest with two 12 foot long cord to tie me to a couple trees. 
The padding I use underneath me so I do go cold at night is from Scout and is quite lightweight. 
My sleeping bag is a REI Travel Down bag, which is rated to 40 degrees. This baby keeps me way to warm some nights but it is totally worth it. 
Now on to how I can stay dry in the rain with a hammock, with a tarp! I use a ENO DryFly and steak it out around my hammock with some MSR miniGroundhog steaks. 

What do I wear out here? Well clothes an shoes of course!
For my little feet I am wearing some Oboz Sawtooth boots with some Darn Tough socks. 

I wear some trail running shorts to make me go faster and extend my range of motion. 

Lastly for my shirt I wear a biking jersey!

Then around my head or neck I wear a wool Buff, basically a tube of fabric that shields my pale skin from thise dastardly rays of sunlight. 


To protect myself from rain I have a Patagonia raincoat. 

Now on to cookware! For a pot I pick one randomly up on the trail! The trail literally provided because we traded the old pot for this lighter one. 

Oh and don't forget how I get clean drinking water. I use a Sawyer water filter screwed ontop of a SmartWater bottle. 

Lastly come my knee savers, my fall preventers, my trekking poles! They are Leki Micro Vario poles which are collapsible. 

Finally gear talk is over. Now on to where are we headed to next. Our next few stops, for those following along at home, in order of where we are hitting first include:
Waynesboro, PA
And
Duncannon, PA

If you want to mail something to us at those spots just format the postage so. 

Ross Beazell and Scott Shipley
C/o general delivery 
Town name, state
Please hold for AT thru-hiker

Onwards we go and soon we shall start counting down the miles to Maine!

Cheers,
Ross (Burnout [the Rooster]) Beazell




No comments:

Post a Comment